Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tough Decisions

I am honestly debating spending my last 5€ to go to Starbucks to study for exams. It sounds crazy, but I do it for two reasons. First, I accomplish absolutely nothing while at home. There's a complete mental division that equates home with comfort and the outside world with work, impossible to mix the two. If I don't isolate myself outside of my flat, I will accomplish nothing, full stop. Second, I've had it with my flatmate hounding me for my rent money so he can go out. Granted, it is his money that I've owed him for three weeks, but I've already told him a dozen times that there's nothing I can do. My mother has deposited $4500 in my account, but since it's in overdraft, they're going to hold it until the 29th. I'm overdrawn because I needed that money, yet they're not going to make it available to me for another week - does that make much sense?

I've also realized lately that, in an odd way, my propensity for procrastination stems from my perfectionism. Rather than beginning things and accomplishing them in a timely manner, I sit and mull over them until it's too late. One of my many New Year's resolutions is to prioritise and finish tasks ahead of schedule, a plan which I need to put into action. I've been worrying about formatting and internationalizing my CV/résumé a lot, but instead of asking for feedback or producing various versions, I've just put it off. Considering I only have about five months to be on the market, do research and line up interviews, I really ought to be pushing myself more. Thankfully I've got Ken in Boston to keep me on track and act as my agent of sorts, and with any luck I'll have a final version completed this week and a few prospects within a month or so!

In other news, as of today I have not had a car for 42 months. Three and a half years without a vehicle - I find it something to celebrate! But on the other hand, I'm dreading going back "home" (or to a new home) and being forced to buy a car for lack of public transport. I've relied on it so much now that I almost can't fathom living someplace where I'm not able to get around easily, not to mention the cost. I've told myself that my first vehicle will be a hybrid and only when I absolutely need one, so we'll see how that plan goes.

In any case, I ought to be off for a run and then to study so my exams don't creep up on me, so this is the end of this rant. Until the next.

1 comment:

BorN.3 said...

may i say congras on ur 42 months anniversary! If you used to drive stick shift i hope u will get a car insurance form filled out first thing after u've gone back to the states.

I think if u use ur charm well enough, you may even get a cookie to go with your coffee, and for 5€ that wont be too bad lol.

Haha.

E