Friday, February 15, 2008

Lust on Platform 2

Why must the strangest things happen to me at the most inopportune moments?

So on my way home from teaching, I descend the stairs in the train station to the tracks and I pass a guy about my age. I don't think anything of it, but when I get to the middle of the platform, I look back and we cross glances. I then turn away and watch the news displayed on the monitor. A second later, I look over again and realize that he's staring at me and smiling. I don't quite know what to make of it, so I quickly go back to watching the TV. He's a young guy, average height, thin build, dark hair, light complexion, adorable smile - all good things in my book. I smile as I look over again, only to realize that he's now staring intently at me. I hurriedly look for something to do, but the sign still says 3 minutes. I clumsily fish my pack of gum out of my pocket, but in the process I drop the tube of posters that Paloma had given me and am forced to bend over and pick them up. Not only do I feel entirely sheepish, but as I look over again, he seems far too amused and is now staring at me with the intensity with which a wolf stalks a rabbit. I can do nothing but blush and timidly smile back, but after a short while, I get nervous and stare back at the ground, not knowing quite what to do. His train arrives a minute before mine, but it stays in the station for a bit. Rather than sit down, he stands leaning against the doorway smirking at me like something out of a James Dean film. My train arrives and I hurriedly shuffle in to find that it's standing room only. Even though at this point I'm as red as a tomato, I turn back around to look at the guy, and sure enough, he's still smiling at me, beckoning a response. I can only blush more as the doors begin to close and he waves at me as cute as can be. Our trains depart the station at the same time, leaving me with a 45-minute ride to smile, shake my head and wonder what might have been...

Why me? Why today? I'm sick, I haven't slept, I'm unshaven and wearing old jeans and a t-shirt. Of all the times for something like this to happen to me, it has to occur when I'm feeling the least confident. Sure, I can chuckle about it now, but an hour ago I could only stand there and smile like an idiot. Please tell me I'll have another chance!

1 comment:

BorN.3 said...

Aw way to go Nico!

U still got it trust me, next time juz make urself to go over there and start a conversation matey!

Ef